4-H and Youth: In January #EDISPubs, learn best practices to manage the risks associated with working with large animals, grow school gardens in wading pools, build a sense of belonging among youth by providing offering many forms of recognition. This list also includes related publications covering teaching methods.
January new #EDISpubs in the Agriculture program area:
- General: Zika Virus, Cost of Food Safety
- Crops: Emerging Asian vegetables, biosolids, minimizing flooding damage
- Strawberries: US & Mexican industries, Smart Strawberry Advisory System
- Tomato: nutrient stewardship, cultivar selection
- Blueberry: spotted wing drosophila management
- Livestock: feed efficiency in cattle, MRSA
- Small farm: specialty crop postharvest
- Nursery & Greenhouse: new caladiums, hydroponic vegetables, weed control
- Pesticide Information: first aid & emergencies, 2015 revisions to Worker Protection Standard
- En español: produccion de aguacates, planos de mercadeo, el Zika
Environment: January’s Environment #EDISPubs offerings include how nitrogen cycles on a college campus, bisphenol-a and microplastics as Contaminants in the Urban Environment, Safe Harbor Agreements, vegetative filter strips, tegus, and native and aquatic wetland plants that can be used in landscapes. Also Vibrio and the Zika virus.
Families and Consumers:
New and Revised #EDISPubs in January include:
- Food Safety: Cost of food safety, risk reduction at home, vibrio, campylobacteriosis, & typhoid fever
- Health & Nutrition: Breast cancer surgery, phosphorous and Chronic Kidney Disease, reliable websites, texture testing puréed foods, shopping for breakfast cereals, MRSA, & Zika virus; en español Mariscos, El Zika
- House & Home: Contaminants in the Urban Environment: Bisphenol-A, Microplastics; DIY pest traps
Lawn & Garden: New Lawn & Garden #EDISpubs for January include: Florida Gardening Calendars, emerging Asian vegetables, DIY insect pest traps, environmental stresses and your lawn, landscape design software, some native and aquatic wetland plants that can be used in the landscape, thrips pest ID, and new caladiums.
New Program Development #EDISPubs for January include
- Reports on consumer research: local horticulture products, home lawn fertilizers
- professional development: writing quality impact statements, making decisions using force field analysis, sampling evidence of impact, Savvy Surveys
- education: securing and holding student interest, principles of teaching, effective teaching behaviors, teaching students with autism spectrum disorders, writing instructional objectives.