Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration.
- The submission includes a cover page with names of all authors, their institutional affiliations, emails, and ORCID numbers, if available, that will be uploaded separately from the main text of the manuscript.
- The document of the main text of the manuscript has been appropriately blinded, with personally identifiable information removed.
- Where available, URLs or DOIs for the references have been provided.
- The manuscript is a double-spaced, word-processing document (preferably .docx); uses a 12-point font; and all illustrations, figures, and tables are prepared according to the Author Guidelines.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines.
Editorials are short essays or opinions. They can be editors’ reflections on a topic or introduction to the current issue. They can also be invited contributions from leaders and scholars on important emerging issues. Commentary from readers is also welcome. A variety of perspectives are encouraged for submission, including pieces from educators, researchers, students, practitioners, and leaders.
Submissions should be at 400-1,200 words. Reviews by the editors and/or peers may be conducted for submissions to this section.
JPSS invites manuscripts proposing innovative ideas and solutions with substantiation of literature, evidence, and/or research. Manuscripts that summarize findings from emerging studies are also welcome. Occasionally, JPSS editors may invite leading figures in student success and higher education to contribute essays on critical issues in student success and equity.
Submissions should be between 3,000-6,000 words, though exceptions will be considered. Reviews by the editors and/or peers may be conducted for submissions to this section.
JPSS featured articles section welcomes manuscripts reporting empirical studies, theoretical work, scholarly papers, and manuscripts synthesizing existing literature and research.
Submissions should be between 5,000-10,000 words, though exceptions will be considered. Submissions for this section will be reviewed by the editors and may be submitted for double-blind peer review.
Policy and Practices
Case studies and descriptions or evaluations of exemplary policies, programs, and practices should be submitted for this section. Articles should emphasize the promotion of best practices and useful approaches to challenges in the field. Submissions to this section should contribute to a practical understanding of the continued integration of student success topics into higher education practice. Discussion of policy development is also welcome.
Submissions should be between 3,000-6,000 words, though exceptions will be considered. Submissions to this section will be reviewed by the editors, and may be sent for double-blind reveiw.
The JPSS inaugural issue included a full set of contributions covering all sections. Authors are encouraged to read various publication formats and organize their work for submissions to JPSS.
Authors of works published by JPSS retain the copyright of their article, which is freely distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) license, permitting the unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction of the article in any medium provided the original work is properly cited.
Authors grant JPSS the right of first publication and the nonexclusive right to publish, archive, and make accessible works accepted to the journal.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.