Polyploidy in an Amphimictic Population of Heterodera glycines
AbstractA tetraploid single-cyst isolate of Heterodera glycines from a field population from Indiana has been propagated in the greenhouse on Lee soybeans since its discovery, in 1973. The tetraploid isolate has n = 18 chromosomes, compared with n = 9 of the diploid H. glycines; it has larger cysts and larvae, but shows the same level of parasitism and host range as the diploid population from which it apparently evolved. Association of chromosomes is irregular at metaphase I, with quadrivalents, trivalents, and univalents often observed in addition to the bivalents. The second maturation division is usually normal. About 80% of the mature oocytes (just before fertilization) have n = 18, and the other 20% have n = 17 or 19. Reproduction of the tetraploid isolate is exclusively by cross-fertilization. The discovery of such a tetraploid provides an experimental tool for the study of polyploidy in nematodes. Many amphimictic plant-parasitic nematodes are suspected of representing polyploids. Key Words: soybean cyst nematode, crossfertilization.
Copyright and Permissions
All material published by the Society of Nematologists (SON), except for papers prepared by United States and Canadian government employees, is copyrighted and protected under the U.S. copyright law. Under the Copyright Act of 1976, the term of copyright for materials registered by an organization is 75 years from the date first published. Before publishing any manuscript, SON requires that authors transfer full and complete ownership of any copyright to SON by signing a JON Page Charge/Copyright Form (.pdf). SON then registers the copyright. Subsequent use of published materials requires written permission from the SON and may be obtained by contacting the current Editor-in-Chief and state where and how the material will be used.
The author warrants that the article is an original work not published elsewhere in whole or in part, except in abstract form, and that the author has full power to make this grant. If portions of the article have been published previously, then the author warrants that permission has been obtained from the copyright holder and the author will submit a copy of the permission release with this copyright transfer form.
SON shall claim no proprietary right other than copyright. Authors and coauthors retain the right to revise, adapt, modify, or otherwise use all or part of the article in future works of the author(s), such as press releases, lectures, and reviews, provided that all such use is for the personal noncommercial benefit of the author(s). All patent rights are retained by the author(s).